1. The Latin American and the Caribbean region has one of the highest urbanization rates in the world.
2. Access to health services, epidemiologic transition and chronic non-communicable diseases, training and distribution of human resources in health, inequalities in health, and financing health systems are among the most important health challenges.
3. El Salvador started in 2010 the implementation of a profound reform of the health system which has led to significant health improvements. That has triggered the establishment of the Salvadoran Urban Health Model.
4. The New Model of Urban Health in El Salvador is inspired by the systems approach and has potential to be exemplary for the entire LAC region.
5. ICSU ROLAC has played the role of facilitator in all these developments together with the participants mentioned. Also, our Secretariat has worked with this Urban Health initiative with the orientation and alignment of our ICSU Health and Wellbeing Program applied to our region.
For more information, please download and read the attachment.